Saturday, September 27, 2008

Getting back in to flying (BFR)

This indecisiveness about getting back in to the air again as Pilot In Command is getting to be irritating.

My detailed aspirations/checklist are:
-Complete BFR in Katana DA-20c1 (Note: I was formerly checked out in the DA-20)
-Schedule and take up passengers in DA-20c1
-Study Garmin 1000 and POH for DA-40
-Get checked out in DA-40 and take up passengers
-Study Machado's new Instrument Book, which is great
-Purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator with the Garmin 1000 download
-Take the IFR Written Exam
-Schedule time with instructor to work towards getting IFR Ticket
-Complete the IFR program and receive ticket
-Study Video material for Aerobatics Program
-Study for and take Commercial Written
-Go to Santa Paula (SZP) and take Aerobatics course with goal of completing Comm airwork
-Take Commercial exam and receive ticket
.........

Several months ago I attempted to complete the BFR (Biennial Flight Review) and found that it was just not going as smooth as I expected. It's been nearly 10 years since flying PIC and I was just far too rusty on some of the bookwork stuff. The physical part of flying started coming back relatively quickly, which was good, but my brain was way behind the airplane.

I'm a big fan of Rod Machado's (www.rodmachado.com) materials and have a relatively outdated copy of his Private Pilot Coursebook - I believe it's since been updated. My goal was to read through this book in hopes of filling in the knowledge gaps. The book is great, but my attention span wasn't holding on tight enough.

I've now decided another tactic -- the Machado book is going to be used a reference book (because it contains literally everything).

Seeing as I've been a member of AOPA (Aircraft Owner's and Pilot's Association -- www.aopa.org) since 1994, I started perusing their online material. They've done a great job and have a slew of CBT (computer based training) modules that cover all the missing gaps in a fun, interactive and effective format.

My next steps are, with a completion goal of December 5th, 2008 are:

-Complete all AOPA CBT's
-Use the Machado book for reference
-Download and review the PTS (Practical Test Standards) from the FAA
-Download and review the POH (Pilot's Operating Handbook) for the Katana DA-20c1
-Work with the Garmin simulator for the NAV/COM system the Katana has
-Go through the AOPA Flight Planner tutorial and system
-Review the manual again with my E6-B calculator (metal and electronic)
-Go through the AOPA Weather online system
-Review Weather Channel to practice weather forecasting
-Review some of the videos I have
-Contact Gavin Aviation in Oxnard (OXR) for a BFR
-Take BFR Ground School and Flight Review
-Have the BFR signed off and schedule taking up passengers

No comments: