Sunday, May 13, 2007

Currently Reading...

Now I'm reading David Allen's second book -- "Ready for Anything".

The sub-title is, "52 Productivity principles for work & life".

It's extremely easy to read and really helps bring the first book to life with all its examples.

It's been gnawing on me for a while why I've been met with consistent resistance as I've mentioned the concepts of GTD to various people at T-Mobile. I think there is a general response of fear when you ask someone to do a core dump of their consciousness onto paper. Of course, resistance is good because it shows that there is a great ongoing business opportunity to be had.

Their concern may be:

1. Other people will now know what I know and I lose my "special" place in the organization.
2. I may have to admit that I don't know as much as someone else (aka ego).
3. I'm too busy to be writing down what's on my mind.

What I'm realizing is that the GTD methodology IS for everybody, but requires a preamble of discussion and understanding of their current state, levels of self awareness, and committed interest in moving to a different state.

GTD is a profoundly basic system, hindered only by the human condition.

1 comment:

JasonWomack said...

"state" and personal development...

Paul, great entry. You've put your finger on the pulse of change. Some time ago, Fast Company published an article on "Why people avoid change."

Oh, another article that comes to mind is the Jan. 06 issue of HBR (article on attention deficit in the workplace).

I'm interested in following your path and journey of "quantifying the quality of your agreements!"