Saturday, August 18, 2007

Currrently Reading... GTD Book I (again)

I decided to read David Allen's "Getting Things Done" Book (http://www.davidco.com/store/catalog/) again. There is value in re-reading material, I've found - you pick up on distinctions that may have seemed overtly obvious in the moment, but can be subtly overlooked. His teaching style narrative also magically brings in to my conscious mind - "OH!! Now I get it -- I have to DEFINE and transform my stuff!!!"

A key distinction is transforming and clarifying "Stuff" into intended desired outcomes (which requires thought) and deciding the next physical action (which requires more thought) and then placing the resulting actions in a system you trust. Throughout my former Franklin Planner years (since 1997) I realized I was making lists (without much thought applied after), but didn't have a clear picture of the desired outcome and didn't have a specific next action to work on (but, I had really quite creative lists that filled pages, so I must have been quite busy...). I got REALLY good at drawing "-->" on each of my list entries and re-writing them all over again on the next page.

Anyway, humor aside, I must run and empty my mind, and then decide on the desired outcomes as my next step. Cheerio...

No comments: