Sunday, April 08, 2007

Geneaology Research

I'm researching my family tree and recently registered with www.ancestry.com.

So far, I've found a cousin on my mother's side and a possible relative on my father's side. The possible relative is in England and offering all kinds of support and effort in researching.

The ability to upload data and then search various databases is quite powerful. The Internet has definitely eased the process of researching genealogy -- which is much like detective work.

On my Father's side I'm researching possible connections to family members in service as the Queen's Bodyguard (Yeoman of the Guard) and then going back to Wales.

On my Mother's side I'm researching the long history of the Brown family (in Scotland) and my Grandfather's Jewish geneaology -- possibly Cohanim going back to Sephardic tribes in Spain. I'm considering doing a DNA test to check for Sephardic/Cohanim strands.

Aside from collecting names and dates, this project (for me) is really about learning/understanding how historical events affected family members in their life experiences. It offers insight and a deeper appreciation of what my ancestors addressed and overcame and encourages me to go beyond my current perceived limitations.

No comments: