Sunday, April 08, 2007

Volunteering for Los Angeles Marathon - Ham Radio

I've volunteered for the Los Angeles Marathon (www.lamarathon.com) each year since 2002 -- typically as a Finish Line Marshal. Keeping the finish line clear is really important because at its peak approx. 300 people per minute cross the line and just one obstruction can hose everything up! In years past, I did the same job for the New York City Marathon (http://www.nycmarathon.org/home/index.php) from 1992 to 1995 and various other events for the NY Road Runners club (http://www.nyrr.org/) at weekends.

The last two years I've volunteered as a Ham Radio Operator (my FCC Callsign is KI6USA). In 2006 I was at Mile Marker 18.

In 2007 I was a Ham Radio Shadow for the Acura Bike Tour (http://www.acuralabiketour.com/), shadowing the Race Director Lynda Habash. While having to be on site at 4AM, it was a lot of fun and good experience with logistics.

The race was delayed by several minutes because DOT wasn't ready on the course. Lynda was having a hard time hearing using her cellphone, Motorola WalkieTalkie and Nextel cellphone. With my trusty Yaesu VX-7r (www.yaesu.com) and my Secret Service type earpiece, I could hear Net Control real easy.

At the Command Center in Downtown Los Angeles (we were at Exposition Park), DOT finally cleared the course. DOT spoke to the Shadow Net Ham Operator, who spoke to me, where I could then update Lynda, who then started the race -- the delay from clearance to wheels rolling was about 10 seconds. Not bad! Good example of the utility of Ham Radio.

After the Bike Tour I went over to the Command Center and spent the rest of the day communicating messages between the various Ham Nets and the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The head of the Ham Radio contingent (Greg Powell - KD6AIS) has posted a web-site with various links to stories, pictures, Ham Radio Operations Manual, sign-up information, maps, etc. Checkout the link at: http://www.lamarathon.ham-radio-op.net

No comments: